Property owners recognize that when it comes to dealing with upkeep and repairs, finding the problem promptly and quickly fixing it is a solid money-saving strategy. Disregarding a maintenance or repair problem can result in much more pricey repairs down the road and can even possibly jeopardize you or your tenants.
One issue that can catch Lehi property owners and tenants off guard is the appearance of mold in the home. Since it begins gradually and spreads slowly, typically inside walls or hidden inside other structures, certain molds can seemingly go from invisible to a serious health hazard in the snap of your fingers.
There are various types of molds, but the toxic variety is known as Black Mold or Stachybotrys atra. Often slimy greenish-black or gray in appearance, toxic mold flourishes in damp spots in the property, including leaky roofs, pipes, or windows, or even under floors and in ceilings if there was a flood or leak. Black Mold gives off a nasty musty odor and, when present, can severely impede your ability to guarantee a rental property’s safety. It is important to recognize that Stachybotrys molds are not always black, meaning molds of varying colors can also be hazardous. In other words, there is no means of knowing just by looking whether you’re dealing with toxic or harmless mold.
Although mold is generally very common in moist indoor environments, Stachybotrys is less common than other mold species, such as Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) don’t have data about how frequently Stachybotrys molds are located in buildings, but it’s less common than ostentatious media reports would want to say.
The existence of toxic mold is a serious health concern. The CDC report associates the presence of mold in the home and serious health effects, including respiratory problems (coughing or wheezing, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness), eye irritation, or skin irritation. Individuals with allergies, asthma or lung disease could be even more severely affected, resulting in serious infections in the lungs or other life-threatening issues.
Because of the danger posed by toxic mold, it’s important to take hold of an outbreak as fast as possible. As a landlord, you can be held responsible if you know that mold is present in a rental home but fail to take the right steps to deal with it.
Besides legal liability, toxic mold can deal a lot of damage to a rental home if left unmanaged. Mold grows well wherever there is a regular supply of moisture. It can grow on cardboard, ceiling tiles, carpet, wallpaper, and upholstery. Also, it can grow on wood products, like the wood inside walls and floors, on insulation, and even on drywall and paint. With so much at stake in your rental homes, it’s essential to do regular maintenance that incorporates good mold prevention strategies.
Call the Experts
Oddly enough, some property management firms don’t consider mold a serious issue. They may try to avoid expenses by disregarding water damage or telling tenants to deal with it themselves, but mold should never be treated lightly, and putting the health of your tenants at risk is never a good idea. The serious nature of the damages caused by ignoring mold makes it a job for a company that will work to protect you and your tenants from unwelcome consequences.
At Real Property Management Utah County, we recognize the hazards that uncontrolled growths of mold pose to rental property owners. Our team of skilled property managers and service professionals in Lehi will address the issue early and fix it, thus saving you both time and money. Would you like a free assessment of your rental property? Please contact us online or call us at 801-224-0033 for further information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.